Can You Handle It?

Monday, October 17, 2005

My Sister

She was starting a new job. So she decided to go to the doctor before she left her old job and started her new one. The gyno said that her ovary was extremely infected.

My sister was supposed to go in for surgery and get out in two days. It’s been a week and she still lies in a hospital bed. At 30 something she had her partial hysterectomy leaving her with only one ovary to balance her hormones. She just recently went to the gyno and well, there was no if’s or buts, she had to have surgery. They found her only ovary extremely infected. Not to mention she has problems with her bladder. It all had to do with the birth of her only child. It was a complicated birth. So while in there, they were going to do surgery on her bladder. The doctors could not understand why she was enduring so much pain. It should have subsided a bit and all it did was get worse. They had found her one ovary left intertwined into her intestines. The doctor could not believe all the scar tissue that was built inside. This surgery was more complicated than they thought. They removed her ovary and while doing that they ended up digging into her intestine stitching it back up. They put something inside her bladder, for the life of me I cannot remember what it is called at the moment. So they removed the scar tissue removed the ovary and stitched her intestine right back up and then to recovery. Two days and she goes home.

Things didn’t work out the way they were suppose to. They did an emergency surgery, thinking that the fluids from her intestines were infecting her abs and her insides. They said it was deadly and needed to do an emergency exploratory surgery. They went in and had three surgeons look at the stitches on her intestine, it all looked fine, but found her appendix looking a bit shady, so they removed it. Day three and my sister was in excruciating pain. Let me tell you I’ve had four surgeries and the after surgery pain is a BITCH!!

She was in the hospital for over a week. My sister is stubborn and it gets me nervous. She has a heart problem, she told me that the cardiologist doctors would always come and check up on her, they all took a liking to my sister. Of course, she’s a great beautiful person. Heck, she’s related to me. As I called her every single day she couldn’t even recognize my voice on the phone, they had her all drugged up. She told me every single day that the pain wasn’t getting any better, she would cry on the phone and I had to be the strong one, when inside I was crumbling. In January it will be 11 years that my brother passed away and I get real nervous now, with my sister having a heart problem and having difficulty recovering. She would cry telling me that the doctors didn’t even know what was wrong.

My parents were a wreck. They had to be strong too. One day my mother told me that the doctors loved my sister so much and they did everything and anything to try and take away her pain but they didn’t know what it was. My mother also told me that the doctor told my sister that she took her from up there and brought her back down here. In other words, the doctor took my sister from dying and brought her back to life. My sister was dying and here I was in New York not able to do a damn thing. So here I am trying to be strong and go to my new job putting up a front that my life is grand, when inside I was dying.
She’s back home now, still in pain, but working and taking it real slow. Till this day, it’s been about a month, the most, since her surgery. She still suffers and still does not know what is wrong. This, my fellow readers, is part of my everyday life. Welcome to the every day pouring rain of Cha Fai’s life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stargazer1313 said...

I didn't know that her condition was so bad. I thought she was doing well after they took out her appendix. I wish someone would have told me all the details. Please tell your sister I send her my best and that I hope she feels better soon. I don't have her phone #.
Your cousin, G.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home