Can You Handle It?

Friday, August 05, 2005

585

Thank goodness for caller ID. I kept getting this call from a 585 number; I even looked it up on the Internet, but couldn’t come up with anything. BIG MAC even looked it up for me, but the only thing he could find out was it was from UPSTATE. BIG MAC called the number back and got a busy signal. He tried again later that day and it rang, but no one answered. I know a few people who live in Upstate, so I thought to answer the phone the next time they called.

I was getting ready to go somewhere but for the heck of me I cannot remember where I was going. Of course this is when I’ll get the call, when I need to get the heck out of my house as soon as possible. I sat there in my robe wet, slowly drying. The phone rang; I saw the number and still hesitated but picked it up anyway. It was some dude, and it definitely wasn’t a voice I recognized. NOW I was upset. I knew this fucker was going to bother me. He mentioned some hospital name. New York blah blah. I was thinking before this call that in general it might be one of those Verizon, Con Edison… you know one of my bills… calling asking for money, so I ignored them, but when BIG MAC said Upstate, I thought different.

So I had answered in an annoying manner.

“Is this about the $35?”

“Yes, it is. Thank you.”

“I sent a check a long time ago, and I still get notices that you never received it. So I sent another one a long time ago again”

“You did?, well we still haven’t received it.”

So I went on and on about how I’m not sending another check because I already paid for it. He went on and on how he didn’t get it. So I was like it was over two years ago. I was so upset about how they are still bothering me about it.

I thought this freaking call was for a bill from the emergency room. Two years ago or so, I thought I was dying. My brother took me to the emergency room. It ended up being the flu, which was real bad and a bad case of bronchitis. Hence, the feeling of death coming. The hospital sent me the bill for $35 for the emergency visit. I didn’t pay right away, because I was so sick. Once I got a notice I sent in a payment. They never got it so I got another notice and I called my bank and they said it was never cashed so I sent another check. I never received a notice again; well I don’t think I did.

So here’s this dude asking me for my money. It wasn’t for the emergency visit. It was for a hospital asking for a donation for their equipment. I remembered at that moment when he clarified who the fuck he was, that I had received something in the mail asking for a donation. I ripped it up and threw it out. Are they fucking kidding me? They always find some way to charge you for something when you go to the doctors or the hospital and they called me out of all people to donate money? The girl who is more broke than the bum who sits outside Eckards asking for money. The girl who is unemployed at the moment. The girl who is struggling and trying not to stress the fuck out because of it. By the way I finally got a job. Got the call this week. Any hoots, I told him I wasn’t donating because I have no money and I’m unemployed at the moment. The dude went on and fucking on about a story of when he was struggling. I had to open my big fucking mouth about how I hardly have any money and with what I have I’d rather use it on my medicine. I had to cut this fucker off and say

“Listen I don’t mean to cut you off, but I was on my way out somewhere.”

Then I hung up. Can you fucking believe it? A hospital calling asking for money.

Fuck YOU! YOU GET NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH TING FROM ME!! You should be donating to me! So if you get a 585 number and on your caller id it shows that instead of a name don’t pick up. It’s the hospital wanting to burn a hole in your pockets.

Have you ever got these kind of calls?


2 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

Ah, yes. I hate those calls. I get them alot from folks representing the local police or firefighter organizations asking for money. I'm on a very tight budget and they always try to guilt me into donating something. And they usually call when I'm on another line and just start going into their sales pitch. I always have to cut them off.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Wow, thanks for the warning. I'll make sure I never answer a call from 585. It was probably a non-profit hospital calling too...not for profit my ass...

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home